VICTORIA – Delivering record levels of investment for rail technology, innovation and sustainability
There has never been a more exciting time to be involved in rail. New technologies are changing industry more rapidly than before and nowhere is more invested in re-imaging the future of rail as Victoria – a place where mobility is transforming places, people and practices.
From delivering high-tech automated trains powered by 100% renewable energy to achieving the world’s first hydrogen supply chain, the Victorian government’s record-breaking investment in rail is creating better connections and championing innovation.
Victoria leads many of Australia’s most significant connectivity, big data, transport and infrastructure projects. With the state’s population projected to reach 10 million by 2051, Melbourne is predicted to be Australia’s largest city in 2029-30.
Victoria’s $90billion Big Build is fuelling record investment in rail across the State and delivering the rail projects that will keep Victorians moving in the decades to come.
Rail project include:
- Suburban Rail Loop: Linking every major rail line from the Frankston Line to the Werribee Line via Melbourne Airport
- Level Crossing Removal Project: The removal of 110 level crossings across Melbourne by 2030
- Melbourne Airport Rail (SRL Airport): Providing train travel to the CBD in less than 30 minutes
- Metro Tunnel Project: Running 9km from South Yarra to South Kensington and with five new stations, this city-shaping project Metro Tunnel Project (due to be completed in 2025) is the largest project currently underway
- Regional Rail Revival: Upgrades to every regional passenger line in Victoria
Other Victorian Government support initiatives include:
- An unprecedented $1.7 billion energy package creating renewable energy hubs across the state to meet our net-zero emissions target for 2050. Victoria was the leading state for large-scale wind and solar generation in 2021.
- Victoria’s biggest ever investment in science, technology and innovation through the $2 billion Breakthrough Victoria Fund.
- Support for startups through the $20 million Equity Investment Attraction Fund announced in the 2022-23 Budget.
- Financing for local businesses at the cutting edge of innovation and technology through the Venture Growth Fund.